+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FEBIGER .22rf RIFLES - PUMP OR SEMI-AUTO

Default FEBIGER .22rf RIFLES - PUMP OR SEMI-AUTO

FEBIGER ARMS CO. MODEL #2, .22rf pump-action only, 7-rd. magazine.

Fascinating story about this old guy. Baker Arms Co. of Batavia, NY was a well-known maker of scatterguns back around the turn of the century. In the early years of the TOC, they offered a pump .22rf rifle they listed as the BATAVIA AUTOMATIC RIFLE.

At some point in the first decade of 1900 the gun was later being offered as the FEBIGER AUTOMATIC RIFLE by Febiger Arms Co. of New Orleans, LA. Patents were held by Henry B. Febiger of Philadelphia, and another by a gentleman from Batavia, NY which was also assigned to Henry.

In 1911 Savage Arms Co. sent written notice to everyone in the gun world that the rifles mentioned above infringed on their patents for their 1903 and 1909 models, and they were about to initiate lawsuits if sales of these firearms didn't cease. That was the end of that line!

The FIRST rifle, Model #1, could be fired as a semi-auto OR as a pump. Various theories have been advanced for this unusual arrangement. The Model #2 rifles I'm told were NOT stamped with a maker's name, fired EITHER pump only OR semi-auto only. This is the one I received, BUT which was advertised by the seller as the more rare and costly Model #1.

This rifle has beautiful graining in the stock and woderful diamond checkering. Overall the gun is NRA VG+ with all bluing turning grayish patina from age (100 years or more now), even the black hard rubber buttplate looks like new. Bore needs a good scrubbing out.

As noted, it has NO maker's name on it. It DOES have a 4-digit serial number stamped into the right wall of the receiver, inside and out of sight. Below is the only stamping visible on the gun's exterior. The serial number, just under 7000, would indicate a whole bunch more of these out there IF they were using consecutive numbers with the production line.

It's a real nice old oddball but not exactly what I thought I was getting. I've contacted the seller about their error. Just have to wait and see what they suggest as a make-good, if any.

Anyone else out there got either of these old timers? Looking forward to hearing from the owner of another one.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

FFF looks like another fine gun you got their....................
    ONE GOOD TRICK DESERVES ANOTHER...........

Thanks, dew38. A great part of collecting oddballs like this is in the satisfaction I get when I manage to track down the history on these old timers. This old fellow even had ties with the British military of the TOC era. It's well-documented that one of the Brits' "mini rifles" even used a VERY similar oddball magazine, except that theirs was only a 5-rd mag instead of 7.

Who knows? May even turn up more info on it as time goes by. At least now owners of these scarce pieces have some kind of starting point to begin their search.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

Some corrections, updates necessary on this one. Baker was the financial backer of the Febiger and a couple years after start-up Febiger defaulted on repayment and Baker reported in their surviving bookkeeping ledgers that they had over $82,000 of Febiger tool, jigs, dies, etc., plus leftover parts inventory. They evidently tried to reclaim some of their losses by assembling some rifles and offering them in their 1911 catalog as the BATAVIA AUTOMATIC RIFLE. That's when Savage issued the lawsuit warning. THAT was the end.

NOW it's interesting to look up BAKER GUNS AND FORGING CO. in some gun guides. Go through their multitude of scatterguns offered and at the very end of their section is the lonely little BATAVIA rifle. Remember, at the time of these semi-auto rifles, our WW I doughboys were still fighting with BOLT-ACTION rifles! (?) Seems our government bureaucracies were as forward-thinking way back then as they are today!

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

That thing does look like my Savage. A WHOLE lot like it. I can see where the big boys thought it was an infringement.
    Thank you Navy Seal Team 6 Looking for 22 Winchester Automatic ammo. Always. PM me if you know of any. Check Out My Exotic Ammo For Sale

I have recently acquired a Febiger .22 caliber rifle. It is not the pump-automatic...it is pump only. It is missing a few internal parts, like the extractor and the bolt lock. I feel that I can make these parts if I can see what they should look like. Can anyone help me with this?

Denney, I'm definitely not the gunsmith type. Nor does my health allow me to do anything requiring more than a minimum amount of exertion. If it simply requires taking the rifle down to its two major components and photographing any visible parts - no problem.

However, anything more complicated than that . . . no promises.

Lemme' know.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

Forgot to mention, not being a 'smith, be sure to fully identify needed parts.
    Last edited by FloridaFialaFan; 02-21-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: ADDED TEXT

My rifle had a pistol grip stock, but no checkering. It also had a metal SAVAGE butt plate, probably added later. It would be a great help to me if you don't mind taking your rifle down and photographing the bolt on both sides (it should just lift out after the rifle is taken down). Also, photos of the inside of each half of the receiver will let me see the bolt lock and how it functions, and what part fits in the slot near the top of the left receiver on the inside (it may be an ejector). Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Denney,
    It's a bit late tonight, but will try to take it down tomorrow sometime. Morning is already shot so might be late. With the Savage buttplate AND a pistol grip buttstock, it certainly sounds like someone might have replaced the whole thing. So little info is available on them that it makes researching them almost impossible.

Later . . .

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information